Slow Cooker Chicken & Sausage
(Courtesy of MyFitnessPal recipes)
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces (340 grams) lower-sodium smoked Andouille chicken sausage
- 2 (5 ounces or 140 grams) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large (150 grams) onion, chopped
- 1 large (165 grams) green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium (80 grams) celery stalks, minced
- 2 cups (200 grams) sliced fresh or frozen okra (unthawed)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce or 410-gram) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups (455 grams) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups (70 grams) shredded chard or kale, or torn spinach
- 3 cups (560 grams) hot cooked rice
- 3 medium (35 grams) green onion stalks, sliced
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Sprinkle flour on a heavy sheet pan or in a cast-iron skillet; bake, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; cool to room temperature.
DID YOU KNOW? Roux is the secret ingredient to many Louisiana specialties. This fat-flour mixture serves as a thickener and adds a rich nutty flavor. The secret to shaving off calories is a fat-free roux. Instead of cooking equal parts fat and flour on the stove, all-purpose flour is baked in the oven to a golden brown color without oil or butter.
Meanwhile, cook sausage slices and chicken in a nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3–4 minutes until lightly browned. (This step is optional, but searing the meat gives the gumbo more flavor.) Place sausage, chicken, onion, bell pepper, celery, okra, garlic, tomatoes, seasoning and thyme in a 6-quart slow cooker.
In a medium bowl or 4-cup measuring cup, whisk together broth and reserved browned flour until smooth. Pour into slow cooker; stir until blended. Cover, and cook on low for 8–10 hours or high for 6 hours.
Stir in greens; cover and cook on low for 15 minutes until greens wilt.
Serve gumbo over 1/2 cup cooked rice. Sprinkle each serving evenly with green onions..
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: about 1 3/4 cups gumbo + 1/2 cup cooked rice
Per serving: Calories: 309; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Monounsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 70mg; Sodium: 854mg; Carbohydrate: 36g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 27g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 744mg; Iron: 11%; Vitamin A: 25%; Vitamin C: 27%; Calcium: 8%